09 August 2006

Beer Blogging

Sitting here sipping on one of my favorite brews, I’ve decided that I should make beer as big a part of my blog as it is of my life. So here it is: Beer Blogging. I hope to make this a recurring and interactive post. I doubt it will be weekly, but every so often one will pop up…I promise.

Tonight’s Brew: Tröegs Hop Back
Hop Back is brewed by the Tröegs Brewing Company in Harrisburg, PA, which opened its doors with a waft of hoppy aromatics back in 1997. Mechanicsburg natives and brothers Chris and John Trogner have an incredible touch for handcrafting some superb beers in Central Pennsylvania.

The Story:
I first discovered Hop Back the summer after my 21st birthday at my favorite hometown watering hole, the Jean Bonnet Tavern. That was a helluva summer filled with plenty of golf, plenty of late nights with good friends, and pitcher after keg after pitcher of good beers. The Bonnet is known in the area for carrying a wide array of microbrews and being a place where friends can gather in a quiet, laid back atmosphere for some good conversation and some great times. From that summer on, Hop Back has remained, easily, one of my top 5 beers.

The Details:
Hop Back is, as the name would suggest, a wonderfully hoppy creation. It’s an amber ale with a bold hop bite and sweet floral aroma. The hop takes your tongue by surprise on that first sip, but the sweet finish is there to soothe the startled taste buds. If you’re a fan of pales and ambers this is a must try.

So what’s your favorite? I know for a fact there are some beer drinkers out there reading this...tell me what it is I should try next time I’m wandering the isles of my local beer store or searching out a good microbrew in the PA/MD/VA area…or anywhere else for that matter.

No comments: